When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

20 May 2008

The best advice I ever got

Leonard Lauder:
...[I]f you had something good to say, you should put it in writing. But if you had something bad to say, you should tell the person to his or her face.

I learned this lesson the hard way. I'm chairman of the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York, and several years ago, I was angry with one of my trustees. I wrote a letter and signed it. But then I decided not to send the letter, and left it on my desk over the weekend. The following Monday I was out of the office, when a temp saw the letter and mailed it. The trustee got very angry and resigned from the board. To this day, writing that letter is something that I regret.
The best advice I ever got (Fortune.com)

No comments: