When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

28 July 2005

Sweet relief

There are a lot of New Yorkers walking around today with dopey smiles on their faces.

Last night, the heat wave broke.

Yesterday afternoon, it was so hot that people were passing out on the pavement... there were heat advisories in place, and you'd better take them seriously, too.

We're in the process of moving offices right now, so I've been lugging boxes of books and papers home every day this week. Last night, as I was humping fifty pounds of technical manuals and software CDs up the street (could I find a cab, I ask rhetorically? OF COURSE NOT) and sweating like a diabetic horse, I was thoroughly hating life.

This morning, as I write this, it is a cool and civilized 67 degrees Fahrenheit on the pavement. Forecast: high of 80, low humidity.

I think I'll take my tea on the veranda this morning, Jeeves.

No comments: