When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

27 March 2008

Libertarians get on the strangest mailing lists

In my mailbox yesterday -- the real-world USPS box in the lobby of my apartment building, not one of the various e-mail inboxes I maintain -- was a fundraising letter from MAPS.

That would be, y'all, the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, "supporting psychedelic & medical marijuana research since 1986."

Far out.

Many years ago, before my drug of choice became French-press coffee, so long ago that the statute of limitations has long since run out, I will admit to carrying out some multidisciplinary research into recreational polypharmacy.

One particular experiment stands out in what's left of my memory: I remember wandering blearily into a Taco Bell in Chapel Hill, NC that kept late hours, slapping a large-denomination bill down on the counter, and inquiring plaintively of the cashier, "How much foooood will this buy?"

(Answer: In the 1980s, almost more than one person can carry, but not more than a dormitory room of fellow right-thinking partners in the spirit of scientific inquiry can consume.)

No comments: