When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

31 January 2005

Overheard in New York, Personal Edition

Walking the dogs Sunday night, I had an encounter that, had somebody else overheard it, might have been a good candidate for Overheard In New York.

Since nobody else was around, I am self-reporting:

As the Chows and I are ambling down Greenwich Street, walking towards the Meatpacking District, a homeless guy starts walking in the same direction we're going, pacing us. In a little while, he addresses me:

Homeless Guy (in a friendly, conversational tone of voice): I think people who don't clean up after their dogs should be shot.

Me (showing Homeless Guy the plastic grocery bags I have brought along for waste management): I couldn't agree with you more. I'll bring the bullets.

Homeless Guy (still friendly and conversational): And you know, I think people who keep animals as pets when there are people hungry and starving should be shot, too.

Me (pausing briefly for reflection): Hmm, well, while I understand your point of view and am not insensitive to its implications, I really have to disagree with you there.

Homeless Guy (same matter-of-fact, totally nonthreatening tone of voice): I think you should be shot.

Me (finally realizing that we are playing some sort of game here): Oh, I'd be careful about that. Where I'm from, we shoot back.

This answer seemed to please him enormously. He wished me a good evening, complimented the Chows as lovely dogs, and headed off down a side street.

No comments: