When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

23 November 2005

Reason #4,321 why I love New York

Carrie brought something home from the office that we both thought was a cold, but now it seems like Something More. Not to put too fine a point on it, I spent an extremely unpleasant night with GI distress, and am home sick from the office today.

I just called up our preferred neighborhood deli to order a few things for delivery - whole wheat bread for toast, skim milk, Saltine crackers, bananas, etc.

Clearly, I was ordering for a (temporary) invalid. "Ach, you're not feeling well!" the nice Lebanese man who runs the deli says to me on the phone. "We have homemade chicken soup today. I'm sending you some."

New York: the city where even Muslim grocerymen are Jewish mothers.

No comments: