When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

29 March 2008

The UN model comes with simultaneous translation

The comments on this post have me thinking (not particularly original thoughts) about advertising.

As my age cohort has now entered what are alleged to be our peak earning years, I've gotten used to advertisements that have a strange resonance with me. :-) Advertisers have been taking dead aim at us fortysomethings for a while now.

The best example I've seen recently: Pontiac's commercial for the new G8; it's an extended homage to the 80s arcade game "Spy Hunter," which I fed plenty of quarters into back in the day.
Left unexplained, of course: why anyone would want to drive a sports car named after an international political and economic forum for the governments of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States.

Next up, the Pontiac IMF and Pontiac UN.

No comments: