When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

22 July 2008

Powered exoskeleton helps paraplegic "walk"

Not for the first time--hell, not for the first time this week--I wish my old man were still around.

In this case, so I could pick up the phone and tell him about this:



My dad was a paraplegic for almost 40 years, following a motorcycle accident in 1967. And he and I were discussing powered exoskeletons as a "cure" for paralysis back in the 1970s, when as a young lad, I read Starship Troopers for the first time.

As an engineer and geek in his own right, Bob Campbell would have loved this on so many levels. And he sure as hell would have blustered, bribed, or sweet-talked his way into taking one of those suits for a spin.

I wish that you had lived to see this, Dad.

Thanks to Greg for sending the link.

No comments: