When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

17 November 2004

World Press Review

Perhaps, like me, you're a news junkie... and even if your hometown paper is the New York Times, you find that the American media's coverage of international events leaves something to be desired, and you find yourself surfing around to the BBC, the (Toronto) Globe and Mail, the Times of London, and on and on, looking for more information and different perspectives...

World Press Review is made for people like you (and me.) They run some columns and original material, but the bulk of what they provide is English-language translations of articles from the world's newspapers and other print media. They helpfully provide contextual information about the periodicals they translate (conservative or liberal, pro-government or opposition) and include a fair bit of foreign editorial content in the mix. If you're primarily an English speaker, there's no better way to get a good sample of the current political and cultural climate outside the United States.

I subscribed to the print version of World Press Review for many years. The print version of the magazine folded earlier this year, and worldpress.org (the web site) recently changed hands; the new owners are apparently struggling a bit to keep things going (though early reports are encouraging... the users are stepping up to the plate and offering support.)

If you've never visited before, do take a look at their site. Patronize their advertisers or buy one of their spiffy maps. And if the spirit moves you, throw a little cash their way.

4 comments:

brentdragoo said...

Barry-

Howdy! I'm just a fellow blogger, looking around, saw yours, liked it. You have some good stuff on here, along with a nice, friendly vibe. Most specifically, you led me towards the World Press Review, which I must thank you for. So, keep up the good blogging!

brent

Barry said...

Brent, welcome to the site, and thanks!

John, excellent call on the South China Morning Post. Thanks for calling my attention to their site. I spent some time reading it tonight and have bookmarked it. I think it may well be a good replacement for a very uneven Internet-only site, Asia Times, that I've been reading sporadically.

Chap said...

I've gotta admit I don't like either of those papers too much. I recommend a trawl through the Internet Public Library's newspaper links, because that might find some interesting other sources. Singapore has a good couple of papers--the Straits Times is okay, but when I used AvantGo I was addicted to Channel NewsAsia's news.

Chap said...

I forgot this site--one of the Guardian's regional press roundups.

I could send you the link to the VIC, too, if you want, but I don't want to advertise it in case it gets popular and disappears...