When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

01 February 2007

Un amore italiano

Say what you will about Italian politics; it's certainly entertaining.
“Dear Editor,” began a letter published Wednesday on the front page of La Repubblica, the newspaper that Silvio Berlusconi hates most. The scalding letter demanded an apology from Mr. Berlusconi for flirting publicly — and it was signed by his wife.

[...]

It turns out that the 70-year-old former prime minister, whose own heart now beats with a pacemaker, attended an awards ceremony last week and was overly friendly with two young and beautiful guests.

“If I weren’t already married, I would marry you right now,” he told one, according to Italian news media accounts. To another, he said, “With you I would go anywhere.”

“These are statements I consider damaging to my dignity,” wrote Veronica Lario, 50, who has been with Mr. Berlusconi for 27 years. His remarks could not be “reduced to jokes,” she said.

“To my husband and to the public man, I therefore ask for a public apology, not having received one privately.”

Ouch.

The Italian PM does, in fact, apologize to his wife publicly, and in the newspaper. Read on for the juicy details.

Berlusconi Flirts. His Wife’s Fed Up. Read All About It. (New York Times, 1 Feb 2007)

No comments: