When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

26 April 2005

Donate your old cellphones

After I complained in an earlier post about my Graveyard of Obsolete Technology, including several no-longer-used cell phones, enrevanche friend prairiesong left a great observation in the comments:
Around here you can give those excess cell phones to the YW (not YM) CA and they will re-program them to dial 911 only. They distribute them to women in precarious situations (e.g. domestic violence). Perhaps your local YW does something similar.
New York City has such a program, and it's coordinated through Verizon Wireless. This weekend, I'm going to go down to the local Verizon Store with a box of old phones collected from our apartment building (I am sure that there are other folks in my building with old cells lying around.)

Your community probably has such a program.

No comments: