When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

06 January 2007

My people, my people, episode #513

One thing about us Kentucky high-tech rednecks, we employ Southern Ingenuity to solve problems and have fun doing it. The problems?

1. Disabling old hard drives so that data connot be recovered.
2. Clay pigeons are boring.
3. We like to blow things up.

I’m not a gun enthusiast, but I did have an old iMac that I didn’t know what to do with. My brother offered to dispose of it for a price in an entertaining way. Watch the video for the entire story.
Computer Trap Shoot 2006

Related: To remove data from an old PC hard drive so that it cannot be recovered, *without* the use of explosives or firearms, enrevanche recommends Eraser or Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN); Macintosh users running OS X 10.3 or later can simply use the built-in Disk Utilities program or Secure Empty Trash command (earlier OS X versions: Permanent Eraser.)

None of these are as much fun as blowing shit up.

A tip of the enrevanche chapeau to Chap.

No comments: