When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

05 August 2008

Goodbye, Norma Jean

I've been participating in a blogger program with the Encyclopedia Britannica folks, and as part of my subscription I get an "on this day" e-mail every morning. 

It's just the sort of thing I'd need if I were a small-town AM radio DJ, and since being a blogger is not *totally* unlike that, I have occasionally found it useful.

This morning, they kind of stepped in it, though. 

Under "born this day," they list Marilyn Monroe, aka Norma Jean Mortenson/Baker.

August 5th is actually the day she died of an overdose, y'all.

Marilyn Monroe
American actress Marilyn Monroe who achieved stardom as a sex symbol in such films as Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) and later became a cultural icon died on this day in 1962 after taking an overdose of sleeping pills.

No comments: