When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

01 October 2006

Even if you're paranoid, that doesn't mean they're not watching you

If you think you're being watched, you probably are.

As more news creeps out about the complicated scheme Hewlett-Packard Co. used to spy on executives, board members and reporters to find out who was leaking information to the media, one might wonder: Is someone, right this very minute, watching my keystrokes? Or reading my e-mail? Doing background checks on me even after I'm hired? Noticing when I come and go based on my key card?

How about all of the above -- and more.

[...]

"Technology has provided a capability that we never had before to check up on employees like never before," said Manny Avramidis, senior vice president of global human resources at the American Management Association. "It's within an organization's right to monitor anything you do during work time using work tools."

Welcome to surveillance culture, private-enterprise style.

Every Move You Make (Washington Post, October 1, 2006)

No comments: