When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

10 July 2005

Westell Versalink 327W problems

So, it turns out that the Westell Versalink 327W, the modem/wireless router combo that I use to connect to the Internet(s) via Verizon aDSL, is a known piece-of-shit.

I've been having occasional problems with dropped wireless connections since I got the thing, but in the last few weeks it's become really, really bad. Previously, I could power-cycle the Versalink, or switch wireless networking on and off via the Versalink's web interface, and get signal back, but now even that's not working.

So I call Verizon's help line - 1 800 567 6789, for those of you playing along at home.

(Parenthetically, I should explain that I've been a Verizon DSL customer since the week after it became available in my Manhattan neighborhood, and I have generally been quite pleased with the quality of service and the technical support that I have received the few times that I've needed to call.)

I get a very nice technician on the phone. I explain to him the problems that I've been having, and to forestall the ritual first-level tech support script run-through, explain that I have already power-cycled the Westell Versalink 327W as well as all connected PCs, be they wired or wireless, have run internal troubleshooting, and for good measure also sacrificed a chicken and waved it vaguely over the box.

We run through a little additional question-and-answer, and there is a strained silence on the other end of the line.

Uh-oh, I thinks to myself. Here it comes.

"Well," the tech begins tentatively, "you're having hardware problems, all right. Frankly, this is a known problem with the 327W, and in fact we haven't been shipping these units to customers for the last several weeks..."

Fine, I say. Ship me whatever you've got that's decent as a replacement. I hear that Linksys makes a pretty good wireless router these days.

(In the background, on the computer with the working, hardwired connection, I am Googling "Westell 327W problem," which I should have already done, in retrospect. Ah, hell... 4,000 hits.)

It turns out that he can't do that. Doesn't have the authority. If he orders a replacement for me, and they have any of these defective beasts in stock, guess what I'm gonna get?

"But I don't WANT another 327W," I whine.

"Neither would I," he agreed.

He tells me that my best bet is to call Verizon Billing, open Monday-Friday from 8am to 8pm, and tell them that my modem is defective and insist on a non-Westell replacement device.

Because, you know, everybody in Verizon Support knows that the device I have is a piece of shit, but nobody has the authority, not even his supervisor, to authorize the shipment of a non-piece-of-shit replacement.

Here's a hint, guys: When your Customer Support is bright, polite, knowledgeable, and UTTERLY INEFFECTUAL, it's not very good Customer Support, is it? You've got a known problem and a system that isn't set up to deal with it -- in fact, is reinforcing the problem by shipping known-bad equipment as a replacement for known-bad equipment.

So I'll talk to the Billing Weasels on Monday. I wonder how they're set up to deal with disgruntled, technically knowledgeable customers?

In the meantime, the laptop (which I'm typing on now) is tethered to the router by a length of Cat 5 cable that, mercifully, I still had lying around the house. I, my wife, and both dogs have already tripped over the damn thing... only the cat, so far, is successfully avoiding the Cat 5.

Is anybody using Road Runner cable modem service in Manhattan who likes it? (shudder)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any updates on the westell modem problems. I just got this modem and so far it does not work, the DSL light keeps blinking. Verizon is checking the DSL line from outside and will take them 48 hrs to rectify. I was also shipped a wired westell and may end up using that if this POS does not work. BTW i have Timewarner roadrunner cable modem in queens and it rocks. Only downside is that my six months of $29.95 per month is up and will go up to $49.95 hence the switch to verizon DSL.

Anonymous said...

Had problems at first, got a new line, works now.

Anonymous said...

Same problem. Spent an hour and a half in a chat session with a Verizon tech (never could find a phone number for tech support). They're shipping a new modem. I'm hoping it's not another Westell 327, but it probably will be.

Anonymous said...

Returned the westell 327w and got the wired westell 2200. Works a lot better. Connected it to my Netgear wireless router and everything is working fine. Only problem is I get speed of 1167kbps in zip code 11375.
Verizon promised upto 3.0 Mbps. Maybe there are some modem settings that can be tweaked to get higher speed(like disabling DHCP server on the modem and enabling it to be a routing bridge)?

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear the outcome on this. I just received one of these POS router/modems. I have tweaked every setting and reset it back to factory defaults for shits and giggles. Only have a steady connection when it is wired. I have enabled my WEP and WPA encryption but No Dice. I am wondering if it is the modem or the very weak linksys network down the street blowing me out. I have set my network as the top priority. Send me an email at mcfeeets@hotmail.com if you have a solution on this. Should I demand a wired modem and get a wireless router?

Anonymous said...

I just took my 327W off and put in Actiontec GT701-WG, configure for PPPoE, put in userid@verizon.net and the password, and it works like charm. I get full 3k/768k with this puppy.

Anonymous said...

I am happy to say that I've dumped the entire Verizon DSL service today. So I'm DSL free! Decided to move to cable instead. Back in June, they disconnected me without me knowing and then it took a month to set up again. Needless to say, I've been very patient to even last this long.

Anonymous said...

I was tearing my hair out w/ the Westell 327W wireless connection, no help from Verizon or Dell and finally called GeeksKnockin out. There were 2 problems, both contributing. 1) The antenna wasn't fully screwed into the router (stupid problem, but worth mentioning just in case). 2) Came transmitting on Channel 6 as default and something in my house was conflicting with this. Logged into router (finally found password, of course no instructions on this came from Verizon), changed to Channel 1, and now it works like a charm. Actually get a stronger signal than w/ my previous Linksys router. So play around with the channel settings. (It still cuts out when we use our cordless phone, but this is a small price to pay). Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Verizon sent me a Westel 327 Versalink and today I e-mailed them to cancel my service entirely.
The unit wont' handle a simple VPN connection. Their customer service was completely useless. Yet, the same computer, when dialing out through a Juno connection connects perfectly with VPN. The same for a Comcast cable internet connection.

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with that piece of crap! I cannot even get the bloody Wireless LED on!

Anonymous said...

I second the advise of playing with the channel settings. So far, so good. Seems to be moving faster. Will see if it disconnects me again.

I simply REFUSE to contact customer service. What a bunch of idiots. It's a crapshoot whether you get someone with skill.

JujuBees

Anonymous said...

Yikes corcoran_dc! Must have a lot of time on your hands. Good post though. There is an update to this modem that I would recommend and have tried myself. You'll get WPA and some other goodies. Search google hard and maybe you'll be lucky enough to find it. I'm off to watch family guy. later

Anonymous said...

I've had this westell w327 for about a year. No problems.

I'm running 6 desktops and 2 wireless notebooks through it.

Anonymous said...

Changing the Channel ID from 6 to 8 made the light go to steady green immediately. Make sure you set the channel id on your laptop to match whatever you program the router to (but try something other than channel 6). Hope this helps someone. It worked for me...