When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson

25 March 2006

Buck Owens

Singer Buck Owens, the flashy rhinestone cowboy who shaped the sound of country music with hits like ''Act Naturally'' and brought the genre to TV on the long-running ''Hee Haw,'' died Saturday. He was 76.

"Hee Haw" Co-Host Buck Owens, 76, Dies - New York Times

Aw, Buck. Damn.

I grew up in North Carolina, and my dad was a big Hee Haw fan. To put it mildly, I was not; I thought Buck was just a corny old hick who told bad jokes and played guitar and sang between idiotic skits.

Then, in college, somebody played me some actual Buck Owens records and I was completely floored. I've been a huge fan of Buck and the Bakersfield Sound ever since.

Rest in peace, Brother Owens.

Love's gonna live here again.

buck owens
Buck Owens, 1929-2006

Related:

No comments: